Friday, September 2, 2011

Chandra, Page 18: I Would Not Recommend It

Begin Chandra / Go to Previous Page / Continue to Next Page 


Click to Enlarge

Wow!  Page 18 already, Chandra's officially an adult.  This is one of the first pages I think actually works pretty well.  It has a decent, cinematic feel to it that reflected what I was going for in my head, though the final panel ended up looking a little tacked on.  But, I think the dialogue was a bit fun on this page at least.

Here is actually a pretty important point: That of final product matching initial idea.  How does one make sure that they can follow through in creating the wonderful, amazing vision that is hovering in their mind?  Some would argue that skill is the great deciding factor here.  That those creators with more facility will always be able to chase their visions down and wrangle them more effectively into the real world.  Skill must be honed by hours bent over the drawing table, or standing at the easel or whatever.  But most importantly skill must be open to change and adaptation.  How many of you out there have worked through a composition only to stumble into something better than you first imagined?  Happy accidents huh?

Continued after the break.

As you can probably tell by my updates, I'm not pleased with the final product of Chandra.  It suffers from far too many missteps and it does NOT match the idea that tapped me on the shoulder at first.  This is something I definitely hope to fix in the future (sometime after my next project of course).

I truly believe that what we call skill is simply facility and familiarity with one's chosen medium.  When I know something inside and out, it's no longer a chore to represent anything.  I don't have to think about 'how do I paint the cloud?,' I just paint the cloud.  It comes out fully formed.  One artist who sums up this effortless idea of skill, for me, is John Singer Sargent.  I always describe his brushstroke as flame-like, because it flickers with life.  And his charcoal drawings are a thing to behold as well.  I can't recommend the following book enough.

No comments: